Saturday, July 10, 2010

Frank Sinatra

Tonight I listened to the guy everyone at Giovanna's calls "Frank Sinatra." He is some weird guy with a creepy roadie who sings old people songs... And the funny part is, I had at least four old people complain that they didn't like the music and it ruined their meal. I joked and said "Yeah, I've heard that quite a few people have complained about his singing, I don't know why they still let him perform here.. But I'm very sorry about that." and laughed, then the one lady said "Well, add us to the list of complaints! We don't like him at all!" hahaha A few different times throughout the night, he went right in the middle of the walkway where all the waiters and waitresses and customers walk, and where I need to walk to bring customers to their tables, and I was going to say "Sir, this is a high-traffic area, and we would appreciate it if you would go back to your designated singing area." but I decided it would be rude. If Morgan was there, I definitely would have said it, because he has the same sense of humor I do, and he probably would have thought it was funny, rather than me just coming off as a bitch with no one to take it as a joke and laugh at it with me.. At the end of the night, though, I told Marnie how he was annoying me when he was singing right there, and going up to tables and harassing customers, and she agreed it was annoying, so I pulled out my little punchline and she laughed soooo hard... She was like "high-traffic area!?!" hahaha so at least I know she would appreciate my humor, too.. It's always hard when you first meet people, judging if they can take your particular style of jokes or if they take things too seriously, especially when you're in a professional work environment.. So it's good to know I work with people who have a sense of humor, rather than a bunch of boring people.

I really like Jeff, too.. I don't know how he got such a bad rep, but before I met him everyone was building him up to make him seem like some big, scary guy who has no feelings and just pushes people around.. But he has been very nice to me. Yeah, he raises his voice sometimes when he is trying to get his point across, but that's just how some people are.. Greg was always like that, and so wasn't his Grandpa, so I guess I'm used to that by now, but as Emily says, "he means well," and I think that definitely shows. He and Sonya have somewhat of a war going on, it seems, and I had been completely neutral about the whole thing up until tonight... I could see both sides, and see where each of them were coming from, but after tonight I'm completely on his side. Sonya definitely overstepped her bounds, and started trying to seat people who I had been asked to put on a wait list for a table, since they hadn't made a reservation and we were full. I thought it was pretty disrespectful of her, and she completely disregarded everything I told her when I tried to correct the situation and fix everything by ripping the menus out of my hand and seating them anyway. The whole thing really upset me because, as Jeff said, "you can't let people walk all over you.. This is your dining room and you're in charge and you can't have people taking control from you like that." I guess I was just shocked, hurt, and felt disrespected about the whole thing... Australian Bob was there for that little spat, and I think he talked Sonya down and made her realize she shouldn't have done that.. I'm not going to hold it against her, but I can definitely see why Jeff has his problems with her, now.. And I'm not choosing sides, but I guess it takes actually being involved in a situation to see it more clearly, and to learn who is more in the right than the other person. Besides, I guess Jeff was told to fire her by someone with more power than him, and he wouldn't do it, so it goes to show what good of a guy he is... That, even if he doesn't like someone, he's willing to give them a chance and the fact that he didn't jump all over that opportunity just goes to show how much he really does care. I feel like if Sonya stopped being so crazy all the time, she might be able to see that he really does have good intentions. Most people are just out for themselves, and I feel like maybe that's why they give Jeff a bad rap.. Because maybe he doesn't always do what's necessarily "fair," like giving Morgan less tables than he gives Curtis, but what he does is in the best interest of the restaurant as a whole.. He looks at the big picture, and he looks out for the interest of the majority, rather than of personal interest... And it works. I don't see anything wrong with it at all, I feel like as a boss, that's what needs to be done. You can't always make everyone happy all the time, but they'll get over it. And what really matters is the success of your business because, as long as you have people coming in the door, you're doing well. And Jeff does what he can to get people coming in the door, and that's what really matters.. Because if we didn't have that, there wouldn't be as many tables to wait on in the first place, so there wouldn't even be anything to fight over.

I guess The Georgian hosts a lot of weddings, too.. This is the second night in a row we had one. Morgan worked at the wedding, so he had to wear a funny outfit that made me laugh.. When I first got the job there, Matt told me I would "sometimes be working at the banquets and weddings in The Terrace room," like Morgan and Wendy did tonight.. I think that would be nice. I've never been to an actual wedding, but watching the movie The Wedding Singer always gave me this notion that it would be really cool to work at weddings.. I mean, people are genuinely happy on their wedding day, and happiness is contagious.. I just think it would be cool to be in that kind of environment, and to see different styles of weddings and stuff like that.. All the beautiful dresses, and flowers, and cakes.. I just think it would be nice, even if I had to wear a silly outfit. I have a feeling though, that Matt just kind of said that without realizing, because I really don't see what there is for me to do at one of those banquets or weddings. They don't need a hostess for those sorts of things, they just needs servers and a busboy. Maybe they would let me serve, since you don't actually wait tables.. People order ahead of time and you just bring them their plates.. Or even if they let me bus, that would be cool too... I mean, I do like hostessing, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but see everyone else do their jobs and thinking they might be more fun. Plus, there are strength in numbers, and I guess I'd rather feel like I can relate to someone like "hey, we both do this job! we're equals!" instead of "I do this, you do that.. I'm going to boss you around even though you're older and more experienced than me." I don't like that. Though, I don't boss people around, I just kind of try to help things flow a little better and just listen to Jeff and take his advice a lot, and just pass it on.. But I definitely don't boss. I'd like to act like we're equals, but only if there is a mutual respect between us.. Like I respect them and what they do, and hope they respect me and what I do, rather than me turning it into a dictatorship. However, when people "walk all over me, and take control of my dinning room," like Sonya did today, it hurts because it just seems like the respect isn't there.

All in all, I do like work though.. The people are great, and there's a good environment.. And I really do like working in a restaurant setting. Maybe next summer I can work there again, only maybe I could give Emily her job back and do something else, who knows..? But it's a nice place to be, either way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment